Reading Skills Assessment
ALTA's reading assessment consists of several important elements that assure that the result reflects the candidate's capability to read and comprehend the written form of the language. ALTA can help you select an appropriate reading skills assessment from its test bank, or customize a test to meet your specific needs.
How does it work?
Reading comprehension tests are available through ALTA's online testing portal: www.AltaTesting.com. Alternatively, hard-copy versions can be sent to you along with proctoring instructions and can be administered according to your organization's timetable. The test contains a selection of passages, written at the appropriate target level, followed by a series of multiple-choice questions which are designed to measure the candidate's ability to comprehend and analyze written text. The candidate simply answers the questions by marking the appropriate answer. Online tests are scored immediately, and results are available through the secure testing account. Hard copy tests are sent back to ALTA for scoring according to our protocol.
How do I obtain the reading tests?
Once your organization is registered, you may assign tests through your online account.
Go to www.AltaTesting.com
Enter your administrator username (email address) and password (xxxxx).
- Go to the “Language Testing” tab on the top navigation bar
- Click on “Administer a test”
- Search for the candidate (remember that all the candidates tested with your organization are in the database, no matter the type of test they had: live, paper, on line or automated), or create a new candidate if he or she is not in the database by clicking the “create a new one” link
- Enter the last and first names and the employee ID (last 4 digits of the SS #)
- Select the office when applicable
- Enter the email address (required, as this will be the username for the candidate to log in to take the test)
- Click on “Next”
- Select the test that you want the candidate to take (if more than one are set up in your account)
- You will have a choice of having the candidate take the test right away on the computer (Administer this test right now) or having the candidate notified to take the test from home (Notify the candidate by email of this test). By checking the latter, the notification will be sent automatically to the candidate when the test is assigned
- Click on “Assign test”
What is the cost?
The reading assessment is $30 per test.
How do I get the scores?
Score reports are available in your secure online account pages
What do the scores mean?
Please refer to our scoring protocols.
What options are available?
ALTA can provide customized reading assessments designed to incorporate your organization's specific terminology or needs.